One of the most effective and efficient ways to grow a company is to build a solid business-to-business or B2B email list. These list can be productive because of the opportunities and value that it can bring to a business. Not having a solid B2B email list can mean hours spent wasted on cold calls that never answer or emails that don't get any replies.
What are B2B Email Lists?
B2B email lists, also known as business-to-business email lists, are collections of business email addresses and contact information for individuals or companies that are part of the business sector. These lists primarily include email addresses of professionals, decision-makers, and key personnel within other businesses. B2B email lists are used by businesses for various purposes, including marketing, lead generation, and communication with other businesses.
It's important to note that the use of B2B email lists must comply with email marketing regulations, such as the CAN-SPAM Act in the United States and similar laws in other countries. Businesses should obtain consent from recipients before sending commercial emails and provide an option to unsubscribe from future communications. Additionally, maintaining the accuracy and relevance of the email list is crucial to ensure that messages reach the intended audience and yield positive results.
Related: B2B Email Outreach Templates
Why do B2B Email List Building?
At the heart of it, B2B email list building is about growing a business's contact database. The B2B contact database should include the name and email of the business contact. Building a list of business contact email addresses is known as a pipeline and could help organize and prioritize contacts.
The objective with business email list building is to collect email addresses by encouraging website visitors (both customers and “window shoppers”) to subscribe to your company’s emails. This is typically don't with a 3rd party tool or prompt.
Building B2B email lists allows you to connect with customers. But more importantly, it keeps your website from becoming a revolving door of people going in and out without engaging with your brand.
Key Email List Points:
- Targeted Business Contacts: B2B email lists focus on connecting businesses with other businesses rather than individual consumers. They typically include contacts from various industries, job roles, and company sizes.
- Marketing and Promotion: Businesses often use B2B email lists to promote their products or services to other businesses. Email marketing campaigns can be tailored to specific industries or job titles to reach the right audience.
- Lead Generation: B2B email lists are valuable for generating leads. Companies can reach out to potential clients or partners to establish business relationships and explore opportunities for collaboration.
- Event Promotion: B2B email lists can be used to invite other businesses to industry events, conferences, webinars, or trade shows.
- Market Research: Some businesses use B2B email lists to conduct market research or surveys within specific industries to gather insights and feedback.
- Networking: B2B email lists help businesses expand their professional network by connecting with relevant contacts in their industry or related sectors.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM): B2B email lists can be integrated into CRM systems to manage and nurture relationships with business clients and partners.
Related: How to Use B2B Intent Data
Benefits of Business Email Lists
Believe it or not, leveraging email lists is actually cheaper than honing your social media presence.
Think about it…Of course social media platforms like Facebook can potentially put you in front of a huge prospective audience. But, on top of you having to pay Facebook to do your advertising for you, these platforms can change their algorithm at any moment and force your marketers to scratch and claw to get their messaging in front of the right people.
With email, there’s countless benefits…
- You own your messaging 100%, and you go straight to the customer’s inbox (check out these quick tips on writing irresistible subject lines that actually get opened)
- When done right, email can have high conversion rates (averaging around 15%)
- With email, you get to share exciting news updates about your brand that drive traffic
- Lastly, you get to nurture your relationships by addressing your customers’ greatest pain points, presenting solutions, and showing that you really are paying attention
The best thing about constantly building up your business email list is that it’s scalable and repeatable. So the more decision makers you can add to your list, the more “at-bats” you have to re-acquaint older customers with your brand (potentially upselling them), and to introduce your products to prospective customers.
All of this equates to more leads and more sales for your sales team!
How to Build My Own B2B Email List?
The key to creating business to business email lists is to give customers plenty of opportunity to subscribe. Here are some strategies to build B2B email lists that will help boost your sales:
1. Incentivize Business Email Sign-Ups
One way you can build out your B2B lists is by offering incentives for signing up.
If your marketing team has any kind of educational or strategic content like playbooks articles, whitepapers, eBooks, or training courses that can help customers better use your product/service, learn more about the latest in your industry, or just elevate their skills, offer this exclusive material in exchange for email sign-up.
If you offer this exclusive content in cold emails, consider investing in tools like Mail Shake and Mail Meteor, to track activity and see what copy and content increases sign-ups and what isn’t working.
2. Front Load Your Business Email Subscription
A rookie mistake with growing a business email list is not asking users and website visitors to sign up for emails anywhere near as much as you should.
Dropping an email signup CTA (call to action) at the bottom of the homepage won’t get you the sales boost that you need. And burying your CTA on a page that doesn’t get much traffic won’t get you the business you need.
Instead, you want to strategically place CTAs throughout your website and be LOUD about it. Place your CTAs on multiple pages.
And if a CTA makes sense on a page (i.e. a features page, blog page, etc.) then plug it because it’s a no-brainer funnel strategy. If a visitor is on a page, learning about all the amazing benefits of your solution, why wouldn’t they want to sign up for a free newsletter where they can be the first to hear about new product releases?
Additionally, be sure to use attention grabbing colors (this brief article runs through the top colors that drive sales), imagery, and copy that will make the prospect naturally gravitate to your CTA like the below examples…
3. Beef Up Your B2B List-Building With a Good Data Provider
If you execute the tips we shared with you in this article (which we really hope you do!) you still are going to need a little more juice to your strategies. In order to 10x your sales, you’re going to need LOTS of contacts, which means supplementing your sign-up efforts on your website with a data provider.
Yes, you could always buy the best B2B email database that will give you thousands of email addresses. But as we pointed, buying B2B lists will do more harm than good for your brand and your reputation.
A good data provider by contrast will help you find more customers that fit the scope of your ideal target, so you can scale your list building faster.
If you don’t want to waste time testing out different providers, and you just want to try the best on the market, book a demo and check out Seamless.AI.
Seamless will not only find ready to buy decision makers who match the characteristics of your best customers, but by fully automating the front end of your sales process (the manual research and data entry, the list-building, etc.) we make business email lists easy.
Top 10 Best B2B Email List Database Providers
Here is our list of top 10 reputable B2B email list providers. However, please note that the best B2B email list provider can vary depending on your specific industry, target audience, and location. It's essential to thoroughly research and evaluate providers based on your unique needs. Here are some well-known B2B email list providers:
- Seamless.AI: This tool enriches incomplete data with missing contact information like emails and builds reliable B2B sales lead lists you can sell.
- ZoomInfo: ZoomInfo is a prominent B2B contact database and lead generation platform, offering a wide range of data services, including email lists.
- Hoover's by Dun & Bradstreet: Hoover's provides comprehensive business data, including B2B contact information, and is known for its accuracy and coverage.
- InfoUSA: InfoUSA specializes in business and consumer data, offering B2B email lists and marketing solutions.
- Experian: Experian offers a suite of marketing services, including B2B email lists, customer profiling, and segmentation.
- LinkedIn Sales Navigator: LinkedIn's Sales Navigator is a valuable tool for B2B lead generation and prospecting, allowing you to build and save lists of potential contacts.
- Lead411: Lead411 offers B2B contact information and is known for its accuracy and real-time data updates.
- Data.com (now part of ZoomInfo): Data.com was acquired by Salesforce and is now integrated with Salesforce's CRM platform. It provides B2B contact information and lead generation tools.
- Leadiro: Leadiro offers a vast database of B2B contacts and focuses on providing verified and up-to-date information.
- UpLead: UpLead offers B2B contact and lead generation services, emphasizing data accuracy and real-time updates.
Please keep in mind that the effectiveness of any B2B email list provider depends on various factors, including the quality and accuracy of the data, your target audience, and your specific campaign goals. Always ensure that the provider complies with relevant data privacy and email marketing regulations. Additionally, verify the data's freshness and accuracy before launching email marketing campaigns to maximize your success and maintain a positive sender reputation.